Surprise! Just when you thought that Scarface remake was dead, a new report has surfaced that Antoine Fuqua is back on board to direct the film.
Deadline reports that Fuqua and Universal Pictures are once again in negotiations about the new version of the iconic gangster flick. Scarface was originally scheduled to premiere on Aug. 10, 2018, but now that looks very bleek and the studio is going back to drawing board on production. Star Wars: Rouge One star Diego Luna was previously in talks to play the lead role, but he is currently unsure if he will return to the project as the new production timeline can cause possible scheduling conflicts.
Fuqua was attached to the film in 2016, but he later backed out the following year when Sony and Denzel Washington wanted to created a sequel to 2014’s The Equalizer very quickly. And i mean who says no to Denzel right? When Fuqua exited, David Ayer was brought on to direct Scarface, but he too had to leave the project. This was around the time he was working on the panned Suicide Squad and Bright films.
This will be the third iteration of the Scarface film following the 1932 original directed by Howard Hawks and Richard Rosson, as well as the famous 1983 reboot by Brian De Palma the film that made Al Pacino a hood film legend. The most recent script was written by Ayer (he’s back on board), Jonathan Herman, and Joel and Ethan Coen.
The film will be produced by Dylan Clark and Marty Bregman, the producer of the 1983 movie. Scott Stuber also serves as executive producer. The new Scarface was conceived as a “reimagining of the core immigrant story told in both the 1932 and 1983 films,” this time being set in Los Angeles and focusing on a Mexican immigrant, according to Variety.